Wednesday, 28 December 2011

Margot is done

I finished Margot last month, and I have been busy making all the other Christmas presents. First let see some pictures of the finished beauty.
A view of both sides at once
Dressed down

I must say I really like the finished results, and everyone was really impressed with the doll. That being said, unfortunately I must also admit that this is one of the worst pattern I have ever used, it is the first pattern I make from this book and there is a lot of errors and oddities throughout such as the finishing on the apron that leaves raw edges exposed. Some of the errors are corrected with the errata, but some still remain. Also for some strange reason, most of the dresses are hand sewed piece by piece onto the doll body when it would be easier to machine sew both dresses together and then sew it shut on the body, which is the route I decided to take. I took pictures of the process and will make a post detailing how to do this later this week.

Sunday, 27 November 2011

It's a two headed monster!

I am working on Margot, the topsy turvy doll from Wee Wondefuls, without the dress, it looks quite strange! It will be a Christmas gift for my 10 month old niece. I changed the facial features of the doll, I like my dolls with round eyes and a smile. So one head has blue eyes and the other has green eyes. I find the process of embroidering the hair very long (and painful, I poked myself with the needle a few times), and I'm not completely pleased with the results, but now that half of the doll has hair, I will certainly not start over.
If you are planning on making this doll, there is an errata for it, it can be found here.

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Santa came early this year

I just received my order, I love receiving packages in the mail, it always feels like Christmas morning! I had ordered a few printed knit fabric, since they are impossible to find locally or at least I never found the source of nice printed cotton knits.

From the teal heart fabric I will make a top for myself, most likely Jalie 2806. If you have never used a Jalie pattern, they are a great line of pattern, every pattern includes a wide range of sizes in one enveloppe (usually from a kid's 2 to an Adult 22) and they offer a wide variety of specialized patterns such as swiming suits, coats and underwear.
From the yellow heart fabric and yellow rib knit I will make a shirt from my daughter, I was thinking about pattern no 3 from Ottobre 6/2011, which is a nice cowl neck sweater.
The rest of the fabric does not have a project yet, but it will most likely become clothes for my daughter also.

Monday, 21 November 2011

Finished coverall

I finished my first Ottobre project, it's the Babushka coverall pattern (no. 10) from 4/2011.

The outer fabric is baby cord on which I painted stars, the inner fabric is a cotton flannel, I used the required 40g/m2 batting and the bias was handmade from a cotton fabric. I used sew in snap instead of regular snaps, I did not like the look of the white snaps I had bought besides the stars on the fabric. I have to say that Ottobre patterns are really well made, there is a great attention to details, I like the look of the topstitching and the hanging loop is really a nice touch.

I look forward to making more items from Ottobre magazines.

Thursday, 17 November 2011

If you can't find the printed fabric you were looking for...

I was looking for a fun printed cord fabric to make the Babushka coat from Ottobre design 4/2011 but was not able to find anything locally. That is when I decided to "print" my own fabric.
My tools
The tools I used:
  • Fabric paint, I used Pébéo white opalescent
  • Stencil, I made my own from a stencil blank
  • Stencil sponge or small rigid brush
Finished result
I am very pleased with the result, the stars are a pale gray and have a slight shine. They give a much more whimsical look to the finished garment.